French woman Estelle Head grew almost double in size after a near-fatal allergic reaction to hair dye, reported Fox News. Estelle used a dark coloured hair dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) on her head. But along with dark hair, she ended up having a severe reaction to the substance which caused her forehead to swell up several sizes.
She Said “I could not breathe, I had a lightbulb head,” she was quoted as saying by Le Parisien. “I almost died, I do not want it to happen to others, she added.”
She also told the paper that before applying the hair dye she performed a patch test, but had left the product on her arm for 30 minutes only against the recommended time of 48 hours. She said her scalp became irritated and began swelling almost immediately after she applied the hair dye. She took antihistamines to help reduce the swelling and irritation, but her condition had worsened by the following morning – her head had swollen to 24.8 inches compared to an average of 22 inches. She said her tongue had also started to enlarge.
A 2012 case study published in the Journal of Research in Medical Sciences reported that severe PPD allergies can lead to other serious complications like renal failure and respiratory failure.
PPD is an active chemical in most hair darkening dyes including ‘henna’. Several organisations and individuals have in the past raised their voice against PPD poisoning. This is not the first time someone has reported severe injuries caused by hair dye. In 2017, 24-year-old Gemma Wiliams reported burns caused by a hair dye. Her eyes were glued shut, her forehead was charred and she had secretions on her ears.
For More Latest News Follow: PressKS